Best Man Wedding Duties
Supporting the Groom, From the Bachelor Party to the Reception Toast
You are the best man in your buddy’s wedding, but you don’t know what your best man wedding duties are. This is not at all uncommon, but you should know that the groom will be counting on you to take care of some very specific duties as he prepares for the big day.
Of course, moral support and the bachelor party are important, but the best man wedding duties extend far beyond that. Tradition dictates specific responsibilities, but you should review these with the bride and groom, as they may have different ideas about what they need from you.
According to tradition, the best man wedding duties begin with the wedding preparations, and extend through the ceremony and the reception. These are some of the responsibilities that may fall on the best man.
Best Man Wedding Duties Leading Up to the Wedding
- Shop with the groom and help him pick out the tuxedos.
- Organize the groomsmen to ensure they are fitted for their tuxedos and the tuxedos are ordered in a timely manner.
- Plan and execute the bachelor party. Best man wedding duties dictate that you work with the groom on exactly what he wants from this party and who he wants in attendance.
- Organize and arrange accommodations for out of town groomsmen.
Best Man Responsibilities Shortly Before the Ceremony
- Arrange for limousine or other transportation for the bridal couple to get from the wedding to the reception.
- Confirm honeymoon plans and reservations. This is traditionally part of the best man wedding duties, but today, the bride and groom often take care of this themselves.
Best Man Wedding Duties at the Rehearsal and Rehearsal Dinner
- The best man must attend the wedding rehearsal.
- Set up the order for toasts at the rehearsal dinner and act as emcee for the toasts. The traditional set of best man wedding duties defines him as the host and emcee for both the rehearsal dinner and the reception.
- Give the second toast, after the father of the groom.
Best Man Wedding Duties at the Wedding
- Help and support the groom.
- Ensure payments get to the ceremony officiate, band, and other vendors as needed.
- Take responsibility for the rings.
- Make sure the groomsmen are properly dressed and have their boutonnieres.
- Escort the maid of honor out of the church at the end of the ceremony.
Best Man Responsibilities at the Reception
- Organize the groomsmen for photos. Your best man wedding duties will require that you communicate all schedules, changes, and needs to the groomsmen.
- Escort and dance with the maid of honor.
- Ensure transportation is decorated and waiting for the couple when they are ready to leave.
- Schedule and emcee toasts and speeches.
- Deliver the best man wedding toast.
Of course, these are all according to standing traditions, and your friend and his new bride may have less, more, or completely different ideas about what the best man duties should be. In order to ensure you are living up to your responsibilities, simply make sure you are always available for the groom and you are communicating with him about what he needs from you. This way, you will know you are living up to all of your best man wedding duties.
Want to Whip Up A Kickass Best Man Speech in 2.5 Minutes?
Other Articles You May Find Useful